!Header Logo

Thetis Heights Veterinary Clinic

!Call To Action

Give us a call! 250-478-3423

!Give us a call button

Fall Dangers For Pets

September 15 2021

Fall is just about here! Along with the cooler weather, autumn brings some seasonal hazards for pet owners to be aware of. This can be a dangerous time of year for our furry pals! Read on as a Langford, BC veterinarian lists some autumn dangers for pets.

Tree Nuts/Seeds

Conkers are the seeds of the horse chestnut tree, which can be found in many parts of the US and Canada. They are toxic to pets. While severe cases are fortunately uncommon, it’s still something to be aware of … especially if you have a pup that will eat pretty much anything. Oak acorns are also unsafe.


At this time of year, many critters are looking for warm places to hunker down for winter. Therefore, it makes sense that many people set out pesticides at this time of year. These products are just as toxic to pets as they are to their intended victims! Choose non-toxic options instead. This will also help protect the environment.

Glow Sticks

Glowing sticks and necklaces are popular trinkets at many haunted houses and Halloween events. However, they can make your furry buddy quite sick. Keep these out of paws’ reach!


As Halloween approaches, stores will fill with all sorts of sweet treats. Many of the ingredients in candy and candy bars, such as chocolate, xylitol, raisins, and sugar, are poisonous to pets. Hard candies and candy wrappers are also choking hazards.

Wild Animals

Animals that are preparing to hibernate may be grumpier and more aggressive than usual at this time of year. Keep cats indoors, and keep dogs on leashes whenever you take them out and about.


Temperatures can drop rapidly in fall. Make sure your four-legged buddy is ready for the cold! Soft, comfy beds will keep Fido and Fluffy cozy and warm on those chilly nights. Dogs with thin fur will also need sweaters or jackets.


Pesticides aren’t the only toxin to worry about. Antifreeze is another big concern in autumn. Many people fill their vehicles with antifreeze in fall. This often results in a puddle, which is where the danger comes in. Antifreeze has a sweet taste many pets enjoy. Unfortunately, it is highly toxic to them. Opt for pet-friendly brands, and clean spills immediately. 

Does your pet need to come in for an exam? Call us, your Langford, BC animal clinic, today!

!Single Blog You Might Also Like

You might also like

Second Chances: Adopting A Rescued Bird

January is Adopt A Rescued Bird Month! Adopting a rescued bird can be a beautiful

Common Holiday Hazards for Pets – What You Need to Know

The holiday season is a wonderful time filled with joy and cheer, but it’s important

How to Keep the Holidays Stress-Free for Your Cat

The holiday season is a time of joy, but it can also be a bit
1 2 3 18